I love recipes that look like the holiday they celebrate. Brussels sprouts and cranberries bring the green and red for a festive Christmas dish.
For this recipe I chose pancetta rather than bacon. Like bacon, pancetta is made from pork belly and cured but it is not smoked. There are lots of flavors happening in this dish and I didn’t want bacon overpowering it.
The fresh cranberries are quite tart so go ahead and add a bit more maple syrup if it’s too much for your palate. Dried cranberries work perfectly as a substitution, just toss them in after everything else has roasted.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries & Pancetta
Roasted brussels sprouts with caramelized onions, pancetta, fresh rosemary and fresh cranberries.
Write a review
- 2 cups brussels sprouts - sliced in half
- 1 cup pancetta - cubed into small pieces
- 1 cup onions - thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lard or coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh cranberries - sliced in half*
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Blanch the brussels sprouts for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain in a colander and run cold water over them.
- Melt the lard. In a large mixing bowl, toss brussels sprouts, pancetta, onion and cranberries with lard and salt.
- Divide everything among pans so that it is evenly spread out and touching the bottom of the pan. This will ensure that the brussels sprouts stay crispy.
- Roast for 20 minutes, tossing everything halfway through cooking.
- Discard rosemary sprigs. Stir in maple syrup and serve hot.
- *Substitute the fresh cranberries with dried. Just don’t roast them. Toss them with the vegetables after roasting.
Sparkle Kitchen http://sparklekitchen.com/