Why bother massaging kale?
Raw kale is super fibrous and tough to digest. Massaging it breaks down the tough leaves, transforming them into a smooth, delicate texture. Each leaf will hold more flavor from the salad dressing too.
MASSAGED KALE SALAD
Makes 4 servings.
1 bunch kale, any kind
1 teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
½ cup radishes, thinly sliced
¼ cup carrots, thinly sliced
½ cup apples, chopped into ¼” pieces
- Wash and dry each kale leaf.
- Remove the leaf from the stems by holding the stem end in the left hand, while pulling the leaf away with your right hand.
- Reserve the stems for another meal or make Steam Sautéed Kale Stems.
- Place all the kale leaves into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and vinegar.
- Now you’re going to massage the kale for five minutes. Massage just as you would someone’s shoulders, making sure to break down each piece.
- Once all the leaves are tender, drizzle in the salad dressing a tablespoon at a time. Taste after each drizzle to get the dressing to your liking.
- Toss in the salad add-ins.